Sometimes equally good known equally the Classical Method, this is a traditional teaching technique that was used to teach Latin together with Greek together with was especially inwards trend during the 16th Century. The focus at this fourth dimension was on the translation of texts, grammar, together with rote learning of vocabulary. There was no emphasis on speaking together with listening comprehension because Latin together with Greek were taught to a greater extent than equally academic subjects rather than a agency of oral communication.
The method used to instruct it overwhelmingly bore those objectives inwards mind, together with came to live known (appropriately!) equally the Classical Method. It is forthwith to a greater extent than ordinarily known inwards Foreign Language Teaching circles as the Grammar Translation Method.
This teaching method is withal mutual inwards many countries together with institutions to a greater extent than or less the world, together with withal appeals to those interested inwards languages from an intellectual or linguistic perspective. However, it does footling to amend your powerfulness to usage the linguistic communication for oral communication.
It is worth looking at the objectives, features together with typical techniques ordinarily associated with the Grammar Translation Method, inwards enterprise to both sympathise how it plant together with why it has shown such tenacity equally an acceptable (even recommended or respected) linguistic communication teaching philosophy inwards many countries together with institutions to a greater extent than or less the world.
Most teachers who employ the Grammar Translation Method to instruct English linguistic communication would in all probability tell you lot that (for their students at least) the most primal argue for learning the linguistic communication is give learners access to English linguistic communication literature, develop their minds “mentally” through unusual linguistic communication learning, together with to construct inwards them the kinds of grammar, reading, vocabulary together with translation skills necessary to travel past times whatsoever 1 of a multifariousness of mandatory written tests required at High School or Tertiary level.
Some teachers who usage the method mightiness equally good tell you lot that it is the most effective way to produce students for “global communication” past times commencement with the key skills of reading together with grammar. Others may fifty-fifty tell it is the “least stressful” for students because almost all the teaching occurs inwards L1 together with students are rarely called upon to utter the linguistic communication inwards whatsoever communicative fashion.
More conservative teachers from to a greater extent than conservative countries are fifty-fifty probable to live release past times anyone simply questioning the method, together with a typical reply could live “because that’s the way it’s e’er been done – it’s the way I learned together with look, forthwith I’m a professor”. The betoken being, the method is institutionalized together with considered fundamental. Such teachers are in all probability fifty-fifty unware that the method has a cite together with tin sack live compared amongst other methods.
According to Prator together with Celce-Murcia (1979:3), the key features of the Grammar Translation Method are equally follows:
- Classes are taught inwards the woman nurture tongue, with footling active usage of the target language.
- Much vocabulary is taught inwards the shape of lists of isolated words.
- Long elaborate explanations of the intricacies of grammer are given.
- Grammar provides the rules for putting words together, together with instruction frequently focuses on the shape together with inflection of words.
- Reading of hard classical texts is begun early.
- Little attending is paid to the content of texts, which are treated equally exercises inwards in grammatical analysis.
- Often the alone drills are exercises inwards translating disconnected sentences from the target linguistic communication into the woman nurture tongue.
- Little or no attending is given to pronunciation.
Diane Larsen-Freeman, inwards her mass Techniques together with Principles inwards Language Teaching (1986:13) provides expanded descriptions of some common/typical techniques closely associated with the Grammar Translation Method. The listing hither is inwards summary shape only.
- Translation of a Literary Passage (Translating target linguistic communication to native language)
- Reading Comprehension Questions (Finding data inwards a passage, making inferences together with relating to personal experience)
- Antonyms/Synonyms (Finding antonyms together with synonyms for words or sets of words).
- Cognates(Learning spelling/sound patterns that check betwixt L1 together with the target language)
- Deductive Application of Rule (Understanding grammer rules together with their exceptions, together with hence applying them to novel examples)
- Fill-in-the-blanks (Filling inwards gaps inwards sentences with novel words or items of a detail grammer type).
- Memorization (Memorizing vocabulary lists, grammatical rules together with grammatical paradigms)
- Use Words inwards Sentences (Students produce sentences to illustrate they know the important together with usage of novel words) Composition (Students write well-nigh a topic using the target language).
That’s my explanation well-nigh GTM (Grammar Translation Method). You tin sack usage this method to growth your students powerfulness inwards Grammar Translation. But, nosotros are equally the tutor, teacher, or lecturer receive got to reckon that in that place are some linguistic communication that tin sack non live translated to other language. So, if your students uncovering those words together with uncovering the difficulties to interpret them, you lot tin sack anticipate this situation. Ok, Hopefully this article tin sack live give us some points of sentiment to growth our students’ achievement especially for Grammar Translation together with for teachers or lecturers, this method tin sack live used equally the reference to amend their style together with their competence inwards teaching grammer process.